Purplebricks’ share price plunged yesterday, at one stage falling to 262p.

The shares finished at 280p, 10% down from yesterday’s opening price of 311p.

The fall came as Purplebricks made clear the scale of its global ambitions, announcing to the London Stock Exchange a £125m investment by Germany-based international publishing house Axel Springer. The £125m is equivalent to  around 15% of the market capitalisation, and is subject to shareholder approval.

Around £50m of the money will go towards accelerating the roll-out in the US. France and Germany now seem likely targets for Purplebricks.

Axel Springer has paid a premium for the shares as it has agreed conditionally to subscribe for 27,777,777 new Ordinary Shares at a price of 360p each, which represents a premium of 8.6% to the previous ten trading days’ average price – and much more than yesterday’s price.

In order to secure a shareholding in Purplebricks of sufficient size, Axel Springer has also agreed to buy 6,944,444 Ordinary Shares at 360p each, worth a total of £25m, from co-founders Michael and Kenny Bruce, and non-executive director William Whitehorn.

The Bruce brothers have agreed not to dispose of any more Ordinary Shares for 12 months after this sale.

Axel Springer’s investment  in an online agent is likely to prove particularly interesting given that it already operates leading European property portals, such as SeLoger, Immowelt, and Immoweb.

As such,  the strategy appears totally different from – and possibly worrying to – Rightmove and Zoopla.

Yesterday’s announcement also revealed that “underlying softness” in the UK market and snow blown in by the Beast from the East made it likely that group revenues would be 5% below consensus.

The company said there had been a slower than expected start to the key spring market, with statistics suggesting that instructions for the industry as a whole were down 17% in the first three weeks of this month compared with the same period last year.

A further contributing factor was that 10% of Local Property Experts were taken out of the field entirely to go on a ten-day training course.

However, it said that during the last ten days Purplebricks has achieved “record levels of instructions” translating to a monthly run rate of nearly 7,000 instructions.

Yesterday’s announcement also covered proposed board changes.

Current non-executive directors Nick Discombe and Will Whitehorn are to stand down.

Dr Andreas Wiele, president of classifieds media at Axel Springer, will join the board, along with Adrian Blair, global chief operating officer at Just Eat.

Also joining the board are Simon Downing, founder of Civica Group, and Mike Wroe, former group chief financial officer of Just Eat.

The full deal will be put to a general meeting of shareholders on April 19.

Purplebricks’ financial year ends on April 30, with its results due to be announced on July 5.

Analysts at German bank Berenberg said that Axel Springer’s £125m investment was accompanied by a 10% dilution to existing shareholders.

However, it said that Axel Springer’s expertise and funding should enable Purplebricks to achieve its global ambitions more quickly and effectively. Axel Springer’s investment in an online agent is interesting, given its operation of property portals including SLoge, Immowelt, and Immoweb.

Of the guidance suggesting a drop in overall revenues, Berenberg said this trading update was “clearly disappointing” although the US and Australia expansion appeared to be on track.

However, Berenberg concluded that “given the 10% dilution on top of the revenue miss”, it was not surprised that “the shares have come off”.

Another commentator, William Packer of Exane, said:”The revenue miss will raise questions on the sustainability of revenue growth, although growth remains impressive in absolute. We expect this to support property portals and traditional agency sentiment.” He said he expected Purplebricks  “and the wider online space” to take market share.

He added: “We see Rightmove as well placed as the key marketing partner for PURP and traditional agents.”

* Separately, the new Sunday Times Rich List for Ireland features Michael and Kenny Bruce for the first time. The brothers, from County Antrim, come in at 62nd place, with their wealth valued at €216m.