Rightmove is being urged to give agents a choice between the 75% discount over four months that it has now offered, and a complete payment holiday for three months.

Rob Sargent, CEO of The Acorn Group and instrumental in the campaign, said that the choice would be a big help to agents.

He has put the case in an open letter to Rightmove CEO Peter Brooks-Johnson.

Sargent told EYE: “A payment holiday would allow agents to stay with Rightmove in the meantime, and not have to worry about the cost. For some smaller agents, this could be critical, the difference between staying in business or not.

“I do think there should be a choice: I am not here as a trade union leader or to tell agents what to do. They can and should make up their own minds and do what is best for their own businesses.

“But I am here to help the industry if I can, and to negotiate.”

Sargent said that so far over 350 different businesses have signed up to his Say No to Righmove website, launched less than 24 hours ago.

He has three people working on the site, to ensure that each signatory is a bona fide agency business.

Sargent said that he will also take down the ‘Rightmove’ reference in the name of the site in due course.

However he said: “Say No will be the rallying call, the war cry, of the industry.

“We will hold to account any supplier that we feel is not playing fair.”

Sargent’s full letter is below:

Dear Peter Brooks-Johnson,

Firstly, I must thank you and the Rightmove team for engaging with me and my fellow Estate Agents up and down the country. We have seen a big shift in Rightmove’s stance since Monday, and I am aware that as you lead a public company, it takes time to galvanize support for a concession the size of the one you have now offered our industry.

It has never been my objective to advise agents to leave Rightmove, however it is my primary focus to fight for fair value for my business and others like it.

By doing so, my fellow Estate Agents can then freely choose what works best for them, based on the specifics of their own businesses.

I will continue to liaise with every agent who feels that the lobbying of Rightmove is reasonable, regardless of the concessions you have offered thus far. My PR team are currently uploading the company IDs of those who have shown their support and given consent onto our, ‘Say No to Rightmove’ website (www.saynotorightmove.co.uk).

Turning to the offer of 75% discount in our tariffs over the next four months; it is not lost on any of us the value of this to our industry. We acknowledge that it represents an enormous income sacrifice by Rightmove in the short term.

Nevertheless, the point that agents are making in their representations, is that Rightmove has enjoyed huge annual profits for well over a decade.

Those profits are a direct result of the support given by UK estate agents to your business.

There is now also significant distrust for your charging model and the way in which it is delivered – something we all demand you address in the near future.

I would further point out that by not agreeing to a three month tariff-free option, you may be forcing some agents to cancel their direct debits and leave, regardless of contract.

This is purely because they don’t have the marketing budget to spend in the short term, or that they can’t practically capitalise on potential viewings or listing opportunities as a result of the pandemic we are experiencing.

I therefore ask that we are all given the option to accept the 75% discount for four months or three months tariff-free.

There is logic to this request as it takes the pressure off agents having to make a difficult decision whilst they are trying to triage their cashflows.

I will also be suggesting to agents who are currently undecided where to place their future portal loyalties, to give you a chance to respond to this request.

Offering this option may also allow some, who thought they had no choice but to walk away as their cash flow dries up, to make a reasoned decision.

As this crisis develops, we all need time to find ways to handle the challenges of the next few weeks and months.

Finally, in due course, once all supporters of www.saynotorightmove.co.uk have had a chance to register their details, I will change the name of our new site.

However ‘Say No’ will become the cry of our industry going forward if any supplier tries to over leverage us.

I hope you see fit to vary the concession as requested and Rightmove now use this platform to start winning back the trust of your member agents and some of those who have already decided to leave.

We all look forward to a very quick response, after which the independent agents up and down the country will make their own decisions.

Regards
Robert Sargent
Chief Executive Officer, Acorn Group
The Acorn Group
020 8315 6999 – 
Robert.Sargent@acorngroup.co.uk