A change to the date when rules governing holding deposits were due to be implemented in Wales has been effected after representations from Propertymark ARLA.

The changes were to have come into force on December 13, but will now be implemented on February 28.

ARLA board member for Wales Angela Davey and ARLA CEO David Cox met the Welsh housing minister Julia James.

They explained that insufficient notice – just 19 days – had been given of the changes to the laws around taking holding deposits.

Davey and Cox said that agents needed time to change IT systems, create new procedures and train colleagues.

The points were accepted by the minister, who said she had no intention of putting agents in the difficult position of not having enough time to prepare for new laws before they are implemented.

The changes are to do with the provision of addresses to prospective tenants before a holding deposit is taken.

Where the property is managed by agent, only the agent’s contact details will be required.