Agent Chris Wood, who had been given until tomorrow to give assurances that he will comply with a recent Advertising Standards Authority ruling, has officially confirmed he will not give such assurances by the deadline.

The ASA ruling of earlier this month requires him to take down a recent tweet, and a blog which has been on his site for three-and-a-half years.

He now faces being referred to the industry regulator NTSEAT.

The tweet claimed that customers of Purplebricks in mid and west Cornwall lost around £64,000 between October 2016 and October 2017.

The blog, dated December 15, 2014, said that “cheap agents” could have cost sellers up to half a billion pounds in wasted fees.

On July 11, the ASA published its ruling saying that Wood’s agency, PDQ Estates, could not substantiate the claims and that these must not be repeated.

Wood – who used Zoopla data to try and back up his claims about Purplebricks’ sales in parts of Cornwall – has, however, refused to take down the claims.

A new blog on his site has appeared since the ruling, which describes it as “bizarre”.

In it, he also alleges that in a number of Truro postcodes, 41% of Purplebricks’ listed properties have sold.

Late last week he was given the deadline of tomorrow by the compliance team at the UK Committee of Advertising Practice.

The email told him that it required signed assurances that he is willing to comply with the ruling and provide a “reasonable timescale” for doing so.

It said that if Wood fails to give assurances, then the case will be referred to the National Trading Standards Estate Agency Team.

However, Wood said he will not be giving the assurances, and on Friday he was told by the ASA: “We will proceed accordingly.”

Last December, the ASA specifically warned in an enforcement notice that it would be scrutinising estate agents’ advertising after ‘repeat problems’.

It would if necessary refer agents to NTSEAT.

NTSEAT also issued a statement, saying it would use “the full extent” of its legal powers should it receive any referrals from the ASA.

However, despite the noise, it appears that no adverts by agents have been put under special investigation.

By complete – but as it turns out, timely – coincidence, very shortly before the ASA’s ruling on Wood, EYE asked NTSEAT whether any referrals have been made so far this year (journalists have a habit of chasing up stories at intervals marked in their diaries).

We were told no.

We were also told that referrals would only be made in cases where agents had been ordered to remove or amend claims by the ASA, but had not done so.

However, it now appears that Wood’s firm could be the first.

https://www.propertyindustryeye.com/advertising-regulators-warn-of-enforcement-against-agents-breaching-rules-on-promotions/

https://www.propertyindustryeye.com/we-are-watching-you-trading-standards-warns-agents-it-will-use-full-legal-powers-against-those-flouting-advertising-rules/