The crisis at Countrywide deepened yesterday as its shares plunged to close almost 30% down at 55p – a new low – while the firm revealed plans for a £100m emergency fund-raise to cut its debts by “at least 50%”.

Its share price continued to fall in trading this morning, down to another record low of 51p following negative press coverage after yesterday’s profits warning.

It said its EBITDA earnings for the first half of this year would be down by £20m on the same time last year, and that it will not be able to recoup this in the remaining six months of 2018.

Countrywide is owned 30% by US equity firm Oaktree, which was said yesterday to support the plans.

However, the City is already querying how successful Countrywide will be in raising sufficient money to cut a debt which stood at £192m at the end of last year.

Brokers Peel Hunt believe Countrywide will be looking to raise £125m gross, because of the costs involved in seeking new investment.

Countrywide is due to give full details of its new fundraising on July 26.

There is also speculation that Countrywide, which does not appear to be looking for a new chief executive following the departure of Alison Platt in January, may be broken up.

An obvious candidate for a sell-off could be its flagship business Hamptons, but there is also speculation over its mortgage and surveying arms.

Countrywide returned to the stock market five years ago, after being taken private at the height of the market – although only just before the start of the downturn – in 2007 for £1.1bn.

On its return to the stock market, in March 2013, its shares were offered at 350p, valuing the business – then headed by Grenville Turner – at £750m. Its shares rocketed to 704p in 2014.

Yesterday, Countrywide’s market cap was £131m, according to Bloomberg.

For analysis of what is wrong – and a hinted takeover offer – see the following opinion piece by Russell Quirk.

Could he be the man to step in at the helm of Countrywide?