The man behind online agent easyProperty, whose business model is to charge 0% commission, says that traditional agents are putting themselves in danger.

Robert Ellice, founder of the firm which he expects to launch in the week of September 15, said: “I think the days of a standard traditional agent, who has little web presence and who expects customers to walk in through the door, are numbered.

“Unless they adapt, they will simply not be around in a few years.

“I believe there were will be a shift to an online market share of between 25% and 50% within four years. I think you would have to be pretty brave to think that won’t happen.

“I also think there will be two or three more big national operations like us – and obviously, with up to half of the market between us, that adds up to a very healthy business.

“At easyProperty, we are most certainly not in this for the short term.”

In an interview with Eye, Ellice said he did not think easyProperty has any comparable competitors at the moment.

He said it had raised over £5m in eight days earlier this year, and added that his property management business, Clarke Hillyer, will continue.

Ellice also revealed that former Countrywide boss and Rightmove founder Harry Hill is not chairman of easyProperty – despite early discussions for him to take the role.

Ellice himself is acting chairman of easyProperty, pending a decision in the near future.

Hill does, however, remain chairman of Clarke Hillyer.

Ellice also confirmed plans to expand quickly into sales and, within three years, to take easyProperty – for which he has a 20-year brand licence – into Europe.

Ellice also said that he thought it was “nuts” of OnTheMarket to ban online agents.

He said: “It’s very short-sighted. But I suspect they won’t be around for long enough for me to worry about it.”

Read the full revealing interview below.