Chris Wood has failed in his attempt to get the election of vice-president of NAEA Propertymark halted.

He had made a formal request, and had also asked NAEA Propertymark chief executive Mark Hayward about the due process that had been followed when his application was not allowed to proceed.

Cornish agent Wood attended an interview panel after he applied, but subsequently received a letter from Propertymark executive chairman Christopher Hamer, essentially telling him he is too controversial in the trade media.

Hamer’s letter, below, said in part: “As we discussed at the outset of our meeting, the role of President and the Presidential Team is very important to NAEA Propertymark with the President being a figurehead for the members and an open channel of communication for all members.

“It is also absolutely vital that the President, President Elect and Vice President do not court controversy but promote unity and understanding amongst members.”

It continues: “… There has been a lot of exposure in the trade media about your views on certain matters and we feel that whilst there has been no open conflict between Popertymark and you, members would consider that a more consistent line between the two parties should exist for a successful presidential term.”

The letter concludes: “I do suggest that a further passing of time before submitting an application would be the best approach.”

Wood went on to express his concerns at his rejection, but has now received this from Hayward:

“I can confirm that the Board and Chairman of Propertymark have been made aware of your request to halt the process for the election of Vice President, are aware of the interview process, are aware of the content of our telephone conversation before the interview and are aware of your concerns as outlined in your previous emails.

“They are completely satisfied that the process was correct and robust, therefore the election will move forward in the normal manner.

“Please consider this to be our final response with you on this matter prior to the AGM.”

Wood yesterday afternoon told EYE that his interview leading to the refusal to allow his name to go forward was unconstitutional.

He claimed: “There is nothing in the memoranda and rules that they can do that.

“I also query whether all the other candidates were subject to the same process.”

However, Hayward told EYE that the memoranda and articles are available online, and do cover the ability of the board to make decisions as to the appointments process of vice-presidents.

Wood has countered, saying that NFoPP must be using Section 30 to stop his candidacy going forward.

Section 30 reads: “The Board may constitute such Divisions of the Federation as it may from time to time consider fit and shall make Rules and Regulations from time to time as to the constitution and regulation of such Divisions and, if currently constituted, the representative Members’ Advisory Forum(s) of such Divisions.

“There shall be a President, President Elect and a Vice President of each Division who shall each hold office for a term of one year. At the end of such term, the President Elect and the Vice President shall automatically become President and President Elect respective unless good reason is demonstrated to the Board as to why they should not be elevated to that position.”

Meanwhile, the election of vice-presidents at ARLA is also looking unusual, with the standing down of Claire Lloyd, who would have become President elect from Friday next week. She is going to a new consultancy position at TDS, and this has been cited as the reason for her departure – although it is entirely commonplace for ARLA Presidents to have ‘day’ jobs.

Her departure, announced just days before the AGM, has left four candidates vying for two vice-presidency positions.

The two will then have to decide between themselves which of them immediately steps up to become President elect.

The four candidates are: Ross Jezzard; Michelle Niziol; former ARLA President Peter Savage; and David Votta.