The Government is still planning to release a call for evidence on the home-buying process and met as recently as November to discuss it, EYE can exclusively reveal.

Former Chancellor George Osborne announced in his March Budget that the “Government will shortly publish a call for evidence, looking at the process of buying a home”.

But nothing has been heard since and instead focus has moved to a Housing White Paper now due in January and a consultation on the lettings fees ban in the New Year.

However, the home-buying process is still firmly on the Government agenda.

EYE submitted a Freedom of Information request to the Treasury asking what has happened to the call for evidence and was told “the home-buying process remains under consideration and the call for evidence will be published in due course”.

The response said the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy is the lead department for this policy and that it had already considered the Office of Fair Trading’s 2010 Market Study on home buying and selling as well as 2014 analysis from the Scottish Government.

It said meetings had been held on March 7 and May 27, as well as on November 3 in a “Switching Programme Board” meeting.

The Switching Programme Board forms part of the Government’s work on consumers shopping around and encouraging actions such as bank account and energy supplier switching.

It is a strange fit with property, but home buying and selling seems to have been attached as evidenced by a paper released in December 2015 by the Treasury titled A Better Deal: Boosting competition to bring down bills for families and firms. The document looked at big bills for consumers such as energy and broadband as well as buying a home.

A section headed “Injecting innovation into the process of home buying” said the Government wants to inject innovation into the process of home buying, ensuring it is modernised and provides consumers with different – and potentially quicker, simpler and cheaper – ways to buy and sell a home.

It said: “Encouraging new business models (for example, online only estate agents) is key to enhancing price competition in the real sector, but these have yet to penetrate the market.”

The paper continues: “In addition, emerging findings from government research suggest that consumers incur costs of around £270m each year when their transactions fall through and they have already spent money on legal fees and surveys, and many more sales are subject to costly delays.

“The Government wants to consider and address the way the real estate and conveyancing markets have developed around the existing regulatory frameworks, encourage greater innovation in the conveyancing sector and make the legal process more transparent and efficient.”

At the time the Treasury said it would publish a call for evidence in the [2016] New Year, but almost a year later it is still to emerge.

There is no firm timetable on when the call for evidence promised “shortly” last March will be released and it is hard to know what the Treasury means by “in due course”.

The phrase is as meaningless as “Brexit means Brexit” but as a point of reference, current Chancellor Philip Hammond said he wanted a lettings fee ban to be introduced “as soon as possible” – something that according to a DCLG official at the recent ARLA conference said may not happen until 2018.