More than 100 agents are said to have attended yesterday’s meeting of OnTheMarket dissidents.

All press had apparently been banned, including us.  EYE  was told: “The press both industry and national will not be allowed to attend. We will provide statements after the meeting as advised by barristers.”

We can therefore only report on what we have been given since in a statement regarding the meeting plus comment from OnTheMarket.

The meeting was billed as the “first” for the action group. Last night, OTM said it did not take lightly the complaints, but doubted whether there were any grounds for legal action.

Yesterday’s meeting organiser Iain White, an industry consultant whose clients include Choices whose chairman is Simon Shinerock, said that the agents believe they were misled by Agents Mutual, which launched OTM.

He said that the agents say they were promised that on joining their subscription fees would always be equal to, or lower than, those charged to members who joined later.

He said the suggestion now is that Agents Mutual had in fact been offering subscriptions at a much lower price, disadvantaging earlier members.

White said in the statement after the meeting that more than 200 agents across the UK had registered their interest in taking action against Agents Mutual.

White said: “There are a lot of aggrieved property professionals who consider that they have been unfairly treated by Agents Mutual.

“On Monday morning our information session in central London was full.

“The level of outrage among Agents Mutual members who attended is significant. It’s understandable that these small business owners wish to protect their interests.

“Now is the time for Agents Mutual to provide urgent clarity on what pricing offers it has made to attract new customers since it launched.

“Affected firms are potentially out of pocket and have a portal which is not meeting their requirements, let alone achieving the success and volume of enquiries that they were promised in return for their early financial commitment.”

Yesterday’s statement said that a steering group had been formed, and that law firm Tollers had offered to represent the group, together with barrister Ian Rees Phillips.

In notes to editors, the statement added that Tollers’ partner Ian Carson has previously acted for claimants in multiple group litigation. It also underlined that White “makes no financial gain from his involvement in the OnTheMarket action group”.

The ‘explanatory’ notes did not explain who is bankrolling the group, or why.

Last night, asked to comment, a spokesperson for OTM told EYE: “While we by no means take it lightly that some agents are ‘disgruntled’, the broader context is that the apparent supporters of Mr White’s ‘Action Group’ represent between 1%  and 3% of our agents. The overwhelming majority of member agents remain wholly supportive ofOnTheMarket.com and of our shared long-term commitment to build the best portal for consumers and agents alike.

“Regarding allegations that some agents are considering legal action againstOnTheMarket.com for alleged misrepresentations made in relation to pricing policy, we have no reason to believe that there are any grounds for legal action.

“The board and management team of Agents’ Mutual have at every stage of the company’s inception and development taken suitable legal advice.

“We continue to take appropriate legal action to ensure that agents meet their contractual obligations.”