An agent in flood-devastated Carlise has apparently backed down on a hike in fees charged to tenants.

The agent said he made an error of judgment after staff worked 12-hour shifts.

The firm has now made a £2,500 donation to the Cumbria flood appeal and cut its fees.

It has also refunded the higher fees charged.

According to a story in the Mirror, Cumbria Properties had trebled its fees, from £110 to £600 ‘overnight’ at the weekend, as thousands of people were left homeless and needed rental accommodation.

The Mirror story says that one person who called the agent was staggered to be told of the price hike, but found that other local agents had kept their fees.

David Thomas accused the firm of ‘rank exploitation’.

According to the Mirror story, Adrian Hogarth at the agency admitted he had made a mistake.

He told the paper: “I made an error of judgement. I had staff who worked 12-hour shifts on Sunday.

“I made a decision to increase tenancy fees to cover the cost of staffing to get people into properties.

“I realised on Monday that I should not have done that, and we have donated £2,500 to the Cumbrian flood appeal, and have reduced the fees to £200 per property.

“We apologise for the bad feeling this has caused.”

He apparently told the Mirror some customers had been happy to pay the charges in order to find a home because his staff had worked so hard.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/storm-desmond-floods-estate-agent-6977178