A letting agent closed down by the Insolvency Service received five-star ratings on review site allAgents.

The last five-star rating was put up there in only May of this year.

Yet, extraordinarily, the man named in the allAgents rating, Darren Briggs, was adjudged bankrupt two years ago and shortly afterwards was banned from being a director for seven years.

Yesterday, the Insolvency Service confirmed to EYE that Briggs had simply broken the ban.

With grammar corrected, the last allAgents rating of three months ago reads: “Probably the most honest, reliable and direct agent I know. Recommended without hesitation. Approached Darren Briggs to rent my property, then read the reviews and was obviously horrified, met up for a coffee and he told me the whole situation: the police investigation and then released without charge, previous company liquidated, etc. We moved on from his history and I must say he has done a splendid job . . . just goes to show, don’t believe all you read.”

Another five-star review was posted last December, following a similarly glowing mention in November.

The excellent five-star reviews follow an almost unrelenting string of complaints making accusations about scams, theft, loss of deposits, and concerns that the company name had been changed.

Two posts even give the name and contact details of a police officer conducting an inquiry.

Last month, the High Court ordered into liquidation Morgan Fox (Lettings), formerly Anthony Morgan Lettings, which in 2012 took over assets of Anthony Morgan UK (in liquidation).

It also ordered another “successor” company, Morgan Fox Property, into liquidation.

The High Court said its action was in the public interest, following an investigation by the Insolvency Service.

The Insolvency Service this week released full details of the case, naming Darren Anthony Briggs as having been “the sole recorded director and secretary throughout” of the Essex-based companies.

It said that “serious failings” in the original Anthony Morgan UK company were being repeated in the successor companies.

Failings included repeatedly not protecting tenants’ deposits correctly, with landlords and tenants left out of pocket.

Chris Mayhew, company investigations supervisor at the Insolvency Service, said: “For this to happen once could be considered as unfortunate, but to occur again is carelessness or worse.

“Unethical agents who cause hardship and misery for tenants in this way harm the public’s trust in the rented sector, and the Insolvency Service will investigate and come down hard on companies if they are found, as here, to be operating against the public interest.

“The Official Receiver now appointed to wind up both companies’ affairs will be glad to receive details from any landlords or tenants who have dealt with either of these companies of any failure to repay deposits due by them.”

He said that “due to the inadequacy of the records and an intermingling of the companies’ affairs with a residential letting business operated by the director in his own name”, the overall number of properties under management was unclear. Morgan Fox Lettings looked to have some 64 properties and Morgan Fox Property around 42.

The affair once again raises the whole disturbing question of phoenix companies.

A particular feature of this case is that Briggs was adjudged bankrupt in August 2013 when he undertook not to be a director or be concerned in the management of a limited company for seven years.

According to the Insolvency Service, a disqualification undertaking was accepted by the Secretary of State in early September 2013 and commenced on September 26, 2013.

The Insolvency Service presented its petitions to wind up the latest companies in May this year. Grounds to do so included the fact that Briggs was an undischarged bankrupt subject to a disqualification undertaking.