A Savills employee who has been publicly criticised for a racist message he allegedly posted on Twitter following England’s Euro 2020 final loss has denied posting the vile message.

The outrageous racist tweet, which appeared on the estate agent’s social media account, was among a number of offensive tweets which sparked public outrage.

Following the missed final penalty against Italy on Sunday, a tweet from an account attributed to the estate agent said, “N****** ruined it for us”.

The hateful tweet was directed at England players Bukayo Saka, Jadon Sancho and Marcus Rashford. The message has since been deleted.

The same Twitter account later followed up with another tweet, believed to be in response to the outrage expressed by other social media users.

The message said: “Omg, I haven’t said anything.”

Savills yesterday took action over the offensive tweet by suspending the member of staff accused of posting the message. But now the company says that the agent claims his account was hacked.

Savills said in a statement: “Savills confirms that the staff member connected with the racist comments placed on Twitter claims that his account was taken over by a third party and that the matter is being referred to the Greater Manchester Police.

“Savills has acted swiftly and confirms that the individual is suspended from duty pending the findings of this investigation, which is being progressed as a priority.

“Savills has a policy of zero tolerance on any form of racial abuse or discrimination.”

Speaking to MailOnline yesterday, the estate agent’s stepfather claimed the Twitter account had been hacked.

Robert Dutson said: “He didn’t post the remark. His account has been hacked.

“That is not him. He is not a racist. The tweet appears to have come from a device not used by this account before.”